Responsive learning has been gaining importance over the past few years and has become an essential aspect of e-Learning or online learning solutions.
Modern websites are ‘responsive’ which means that webpage content can be delivered as per the screen size and the device being used.
When it comes to organizational trainings, responsive learning is a critical aspect that organizations are looking for before getting an e-learning content developed. This need has risen because today’s workforce is inclined towards multiple devices and is spending extra time on smartphones and tablets. Moreover, online learners have to access online learning solutions even when they are on a move, so, if eLearning course is responsive to multiple devices then it develops interest within the learners and becomes easy for them to learn anytime, through any device be it windows, android or Apple systems.
HTML supports responsive design to create online learning courses compatible for all the mobile devices with ease and the same visuals. Elements such as menus, footers, images etc. adjust themselves according to the devices they are being viewed on and it becomes easier for the learner to read and navigate through the course.
Here are few advantages of responsive learning with regards to E-Learning:
- Ease of accessibility - Responsive design enables the learner to access the course and have same learning experience from multiple devices. Learner’s learning experience is irrespective of the device. Single version of the content can be accessed on all browsers, operating systems, mobile devices, tablets, PCs etc.
- Cost Effectiveness - Instead of a complete suite of courses designed specifically for different platforms and different learners, responsive learning design can be developed reducing investment and time needed to design and distribute the course. Organizations save time, effort and money by developing responsive online learning solutions.
- Ease of content alteration - If any changes needs to be done in the content then there is no need to change different versions of the content. A single code can be changed to update the content on all the devices.
- Ease of Navigation - Learning platform’s pages can move fluidly between different screen sizes if it is a responsive design. The learner can navigate conveniently, without the need to scroll or pan-in or pan-out unnecessarily.
- Single point of distribution - If a course is developed with responsive design then it can be distributed through LMS to a large audience.
- Happy Learners - All the above benefits make learning a happy experience for the learners.
With so many benefits that responsive learning brings in to eLearning, it has become an important consideration for any e-Learning course development. Responsive learning offers engaging and effective e-Learning experience to the learners on the entire range of platforms. So organizations should definitely ask e-Learning developers to use the latest HTML 5 or Flash. Flash does not work on iPhones and iPads and that should be kept in mind when creating mobile based learning solutions.