With infusion of e-learning in corporate training, learners are more attuned to self-paced learning. E-Learning provides them the opportunity to learn as per their needs and convenience. Even with ready learning material available, learners often need support during an e-course to fully grasp the concepts and their practical applications.
There are many ways to introduce Mentors in e-learning - the most widely accepted one being through the Learning Management System. There are several reasons for this:
- Easy access for Learners
- Moderators can initiate and supervise interactions
- Knowledge is built and grown within the system
Within a modern LMS, there are many technology affordances which support the role of a Mentor for an e-course. Utilizing one or more, a robust channel of communication can be created which supports the learners as per their needs.
- Mentoring through E-Mail
- Mentoring through instant messaging/chat
- Mentoring through video-chat
- Mentoring through message board/discussion boards